The design firm of Lacina, Lacina, and Thornburg LLC, was extensively involved in the design and execution of this project, and were on hand for the grand opening. "This project is one of the most exciting that I have had a chance to be involved with." states Sam Lacina, lead contractor. "The scale and location of this project provide substantial challenges, but with good planning, and at least 20 runs to Home Depot per day we were able to keep the project on time and under budget."
Further plans for exterior painting are planned to keep the house appropriate for it's historical neighborhood. "Historical zoning restrictions have made this project a challenge", says Rob Thornburg, finance manager for the project. "We are glad to have the budget and the time to complete these renovations in a historically sensitive manor."
Interior design has been ongoing, and cabinetry and wall art has yet to be installed. "I am hoping for a full ceiling of stars to mimic the night sky" says owner Julianna Thornburg. "'Twinkle twinkle little star' has always been a favorite of mine, and I would like to keep with a nursery rhyme theme. Maybe some cockleshells, or other other flowers all in a row for the lower wall decorations. I am going to have to have a full consultation with Merideth," [of Interiors by Merideth], "upon her arrival in August. I have a chair-rail being painted in now, and am keeping the interior lively with 4 colors to help to break up the height that you get in studio spaces."
Although the interior is cozy, measuring just 12 square feet, there is additional deck space of almost 6 square feet, and windows on every available wall help to keep the interior from feeling confined. Built in cabinetry helps with storage as well. One of the most involved portions of the project included completely lifting the house off its foundations and repositioning it on the new foundation in order to make the most use of the exterior space by expanding the deck. Also, because this is a walk-up, the stair entry was re-excavate, with removal of substantial rock and replacement with flat, paver access in order to improve the entry. Due to local restrictions on the renovations of historical structures, the stairs could not be widened, but changing the pitch and improving the stability give the stairs a grace and presence of much larger more imposing entry and keep the scale off the house intact.
Julianna can be reached for further comment and to arrange tours by mail directly at "Julianna Thornburg, 22 3/4 Nunda Blvd, 14610." Mail service will begin with the instillation of the mailbox (pending purchase). [Seriously I am not kidding, my neighbor the postman (sorry, letter carrier) says that he will deliver directly to the playhouse once I get the mailbox installed..it is good to have a friend in the business].

Julianna with lead architect and construction manager, Grandpa Lacina. Also pictured, Nathan Thornburg, consultant.

Improved exit portal, which now allows entrance of adult sized humans as well. Door to be installed shortly, pending completion and finalization of design.

Walk-up access, sans rot and with all stairs intact. Also note improved deck, with spacious entry to house and room for small gatherings.

Working windows with shutters and the ability to survey the kingdom at hand.

Master of House.
3 comments:
My! So many blog posts lately! This is awesome!
22 3/4 Nunda Blvd looks substantially roomier, and with more charming period details, than the apartments Adam and I are likely to find in SF.
Once the mailbox is installed I'll be mailing Ms. Julianna a quote on the interior paint job!
Great post. I was laughing out loud!
Probably also cheaper per month.
Post a Comment