Here is a selection, and commentary on the different bottles that I have tried for Nate.

This is the Avent bottle. This is what Julianna used. I have about a million of these bottles, so it would be nice if Nathan liked these too. Also, I am able to pump directly into these, so that is nice too. However, they are not "crazy mommy" approved, since they contain phalates, and therefore according to the newest science can cause all sorts of problems, like short anal-genital distance and testicular cancer and infertility.


This is the Mam bottle. It is phalate free, and so therefore safe for babies theoretically. The bottom of the bottle comes off for easy cleaning and has a special diaphragm to reduce air intake (whatever). They have a neat design, which according to the packaging, "Are designed to reflect the lastest trends in design and color" (which as near as I can figure means polkadots). So, I will be one of those cool designers mommies if Nate uses these. The nipples are slightly flattened to improve the sucking, and to improve colic. You can't pump directly into these.

This the Dr. Brown. It comes in three different styles...all with this is funny tube taht leads to the bottom of the bottle and allows the air into the bottom and theoretically improves colic. They come in plastic with phalates, vinyl without phalates (but so thin as to be almost disposable, they don't look like they will make it through the dishwasher) and glass. I don't know who Dr. Brown is, but I think that he is probably rich, and maybe even a pediatrician. You can pump into this.

This is by far the strangest bottle that we have. It is designed to look like a boob. And, it acheives it's modus quite well I think. Although you can't tell it from here, it has a good texture too. It is also PBA free. We haven't tried it yet..it is just too weird. You can't pump directly into this either.

This is the "nuk" bottle. Not phalate-free, and therefore scheduled to be withdrawn from the market. Has a funny flat bottom and round top, and is suppost to be "orthodonic" and better for the teeth and gums. Whatever. We thought with Nathan's tongue-tie it might be good, and it is what the pediatrican suggested, but no such luck. (To see tongue-tied picture: www.tonguetie.net ) You can't pump directly into this either.

Another rejected offering, the playtex "natural latch" nurser. You can't pump directly into this either.

The "nuby", also rejected by the Nate-dog. Phalate free, You can't pump directly into this either.

We have also tried the "breastflow" which has this strange nipple-in-nipple design, and therefore is very odd looking. He doesn't like it. It is phalate free. You can't pump directly into this either, but it does have a weird futurist look to make it seem like you know something more than the average mother.



Here are the evenflo glass bottles. We think that they are pretty cute. You can even get them with silicone skins like they make for ipods, so that they don't break as easily, and so that the baby can hold onto them better. Like I said before, they are both phalate free, and being glass, free of all plastic additives, and they will be free of whatever they find next in the plastics. I can pump directly into these as well, which is good.

Also, if Nate ends up liking these, we could get one of these "monkey" bottle holders, which are just a little weird!! Seems like it could cause issues in the future when we attend zoo events.
We'll keep you posted, but it looks like the glass bottles are winning right now. I hate to admitted it, but they did know something back in the day!! I haven't even gotten into the whole latex vs. silicone nipple issue...I frankly do not have the energy. Who knew that having a modern baby was this complicated...clearly cave people had it easy. I am hoping that I can convince my boss that I need a year off since my baby won't bottle feed...I think that she will go for it, what do you think?
2 comments:
I seriously can't believe how many bottles there are, but I have to say I love the glass one with the nalgene type grip over it , I mean that is so hip! I might even use it for my self if people continue to try and scare me about all of the horrible things that are going to happen to me if I continue to even look at plastic.
He won't starve himself; he will eventually get one of them. Sidney had trouble too for a while. We tried many of the plastic ones and she stuck with the Dr. Brown's who is no doubt rolling in baby dough. I thought they were switching to glass, too? They also seemed to reduce gassiness as she became less interested in lying still to eat.
This should be covered under FMLA, eh? Fill out form: My baby loves my boobs. Husband and I are equally disappointed, but I can’t work for a while.
Best of Luck Loralei..Lisa
Post a Comment