The life and times of the Thornburg clan

Monday, July 18, 2011

The MUSSELMAN- Mission...Completion!



















Yesterday was the Mussleman 1/2 iron man competition. As those who know me can attest....it has been a long hard road of training. It is a big jump from Olympic length, and pretty challenging for someone who also works. Typically 2-3 3+ hour workouts/week, for a total of 10-20 hours/week.

So, yesterday was THE EVENT.

But, wait, we can't start there.

Friday was...the MICRO-mussel.
We went to Geneva to support Uncle Adam (my sister Bethany's Fiance) as he competed in all three Mussel events.
So, the micro.....let me set this up.
It is a triathlon. 100 yard swim, 1/2 mile bike, 300 yard run. There are three heats- one on a traditional bikes, one on, and I am not kidding, on tricycles, and one on wait for it...unicycles. Oh yes.
And there are costumes.
And there was popcorn and balloon animals for the kids.
It was pretty much their happy place.

This is Adam in a bikini top, MEN'S swimwear from Brazil (no comment) and an Ethel Merman style cap.
He raced on Nate's old tricycle.
Which he broke, resulting in his dead last finish.
I am guessing it is not rated to adult male weights.
I am also including some of the other best costumes.
Santa & Mrs. Clause
She had "ho" for race numbers on her body.
He had a "fuel" belt of mini-alcohols.
They covered their transition area with snow that they made with a snow cone maker.
And yes, he swam in that.
Waldo- yes, he swam in that.
Batman and Joker
complete with signs that said "pow" and "bang"

And, in a stunning piece of team work, when Joker's tricycle broke down Batman helped him cross the line.









































so, after that, the next day..we all attended the MINI-mussel the sprint length tri (500 yard swim, 15 mi bike, 3 mile run). Adam again participated and did well. We had a great time, walked all around the park, visited the sheep petting zoo (it is the "woolsports" musselman after all) and generally had a good time.



















Then came Sunday.
Let me say this first: Overall, it was a good day. I finished.
That being said, it was the face of the sun. Temp=94 degrees. Real feel=solar flare (actually around 99-100+).
The day started with the swim (as usual). Unfortunately there was a quite a headwind for the early morning, so there was significant chop. Also, I had the infernal wetsuit panic (again). So, I couldn't swim face down. I had to swim backstroke most of the way. That is a long 1.2 miles. The course goes out, over and then inward into a canal, where the chop died down.
During the across portion, we had such waves that every one would swamp you, resulting in swallowing tons of lake water...and resulting in me vomiting while swimming (not recommended). Also, due to the large number of zebra mussels (hence the race name) I cut my foot.
So, after I got out of the infernal wetsuit, it was on to the bike. Headwind a bit of an issue at the beginning, but leg and arms felt good, comfortable, drinking, no major issues.

No problem, cooking along at 18-19 mile/hr average, doing well, hit mile 45 and just die. That is all there is. I have drunk 6 bottles of water at this point...with no appreciable affect (not to spell it out here), and have visible dried salt lines on my bike shorts. NICE! Keep drinking, hoping for best.
Limp through the last 11 miles (rough road), then drop my chain- due to rider error (F%&*^#), but get into transition with 30 minutes to spare for the cut off.
Change shoes, hat on, chug hot Gatorade (delicious)
So, note regarding physics/thermodynamics. It turns out, if you put a tube of zinc oxide on the 100 degree day in direct sun, when you go to smear it on your face...it will be like RUBBING ON BOILING OIL.
That was pretty awesome.
Head out onto course, walking, while finishing Gatorade.
See kids.

















Lose it....ugly crying results with comments such as "I can't do this." Family says encourage things. Gives hugs.
Realize that if I can cry, I am not dehydrated and I can run. Nate runs with me for about 5 yards. Run to first rest stop. Remember (surprisingly since I don't think my brain was receiving much oxygen) from Tri advice website that in these conditions you should fill your suit with ice. Do this....it is AMAZING. After drinking, and slowing eating ice out of my suit (refilling at each mile marker- it was so hot it melted completely between each mile marker), having some electrolyte tablets at mile 2ish, I am feeling ok...able to run (mostly, except hills) until mile 10. Thank god for the towns people of Geneva with their showers of hoses, water, sprinklers, polka bands, string quartet, etc. It was great to have that much support. (btw- downside to hoses=wet shoes=blisters)
Miles 10-12.5 suck. No shade, hot, and just want to be done.
KIDS and Rob waiting in sand at mile 12.5....run it in.....and FINISH!! (take off shoes, climb into waiting cold tub...best plan ever!)
I wasn't first, but I wasn't last.
Final time: 7:43.09
Place: 744/808; 51/55 age group of finishers
Of note, out of 1000 participants, 808 completed whole, 55 completed a planned aquabike (meaning were never planned to run) and this means that 137 (13+%) of the field DNF (if you look they are primarily "lost" during the run phase!!
So, mission 70.3 is COMPLETE!


1 comment:

Merideth said...

Go Lor!!! You must be so proud! I know I am. I told everyone how tough my big sister is!!

Mer