I would like to say that it was all smooth sailing, and that I had no trouble. Unfortunately, that would be a lie. But I had fun, and seeing as this was my first one, set a personal record!
First:
The weather. What can I say. I can pick em. Raining, cold and generally fall weather in the finger lakes. Not be confused with the afternoon, which was sunny and gorgeous.
Second:
The set up. What a goat rodeo. FAR too small a transition area, and was in combination with both the relay and sprint athletes. Therefore, we were all mixed up, and the poor sprint people that were not starting until 9 or later had to be there by 6 to have their stuff all set up by 7. So, even though I got there at 6, the parking was about a 1/4 mile away and then had to shlep everything to transition where their was a LINE to get in. Yuk.
Found spot, wedged in tight with someone else, all set up. No room for box/pail/etc. But, enough. Remembered extra socks and bags. Hurray for preparedness! (can you say mommmy?) Also, remembered garbage bag to put my dry clothes/cell phone/etc into in the "bag holding area", so I was happy for that too.
Here is a picture of the transition area- which is looking like a quite the hot mess:
Third:
Off to the swim. Ridiculously tight unasuit- check. Wetsuit- check. Into the "holding pen" and ready to start. Water- balmy 64 degrees (sorry for the previous error, it was not 58...but really, anything less than 70 is cold).
Into the water for my heat. All ready to go. Dive in with gun....instant panic sets in. I had this horrible "wet suit, cold water" claustrophobia. I literally thought that I was going to drown. It was this visceral response. About 1/4 of the way, I consider quitting as I am only able to doggy paddle. I am warm on my body, but my brain will not let me put my face in for any appreciable amount of time. Also, overnight two the buoys had been stolen, so it was a long way to the first sight marker.
So, needless to say, that sucked. I finished, but seriously, I might have been faster to just float and let the wake carry me. IT was NOT my intended time.
Here is a picture of the swimming. My wave is in the white caps, headed back from the buoys. The course is a big square. Out, over, back. ***addendum**** offical time: 35:08. 5th in age group.*****
HEre are photos of my moving through the first transition.
No major problems.
****Addendum***** Offical T1 time- 3:36 (4th in age group)
And a photo of a guy's butt in a speedo. Yuk.
Wave to the crowd. Just happy to be out of that &^*%*&ing wet suit. On to the bike.
Leg 2: the Bike.
One word. AWSOME. I felt great (again out of the &%&^%&^ing wet suit) and did great. I beat my planned time. I kept cadance (speed spinning petal) over 90 RPM for most of it, and average speed (with many hills) at 18 mph. Very nice. 1:16:50 (unofficial).
*****Addendum****** offical time for bike: 1:16:23, 18.6 miles/hour
Leg 3: The run.
First, I had a great transition off the bike, did well and no problems. Zip laces were GREAT for getting shoes on fast, and smart lady that I was, I had dry socks!! (Feet were seriously cold and wet after the bike leg in the rain). **addendum*** offical time 1:52 for transition
As usual, legs like jelly and all that. I think that I did pretty well- about 55 mins, but it is hard to be sure without timing. I kept total time under 3 hours for the entire race.
***addendum**** offical time 55:36, 8:58 miles
However, because I was faster than expected on the bike (especially given the conditions), Rob was really worried that I crashed, and he missed me get off the bike. Therefore, he didn't know I was running, and was seriously worried that I had fallen/had a flat/etc. So, when I was done I called him on his cell and he came and took these final photos of me.
For those that can't see the sign...all of my donors in the "train for treatment" are listed there and were present at the transition area of the race! Thanks again to everyone who donated!
MOST IMPORTANT ADDENDUM!!!
I WON MY AGE GROUP!! I AM AS SHOCKED AS YOU PEOPLE....BUT I AM SO HAPPY!!
OFFICAL TIME:
2:52:35. Next closest competator was 2:58.26, although she had a much faster run, I smoked her by almost 3 mins on the bike, 4 mins on the swim, and 2 mins at each transition, so that was a differance between wining.
I am SO ridiculously happy you can't belive it!!
Finally, here are some photos of Julianna and I planting mums after the race. Just for family interest!
2 comments:
Great job honey! I am so proud of you. Your bike split Was Amazing! You are going to smoke the Philly marathon. I promise not to miss you at the finish.
I am so proud to have you for a daughter in law, I love you so much!
Post a Comment